Elder Kevin Pearson

Elder Kevin Pearson

Friday, July 1, 2011

June 30, 2011 New Mission President













Pres. Griffen, Elder Pearson, Sis. Griffen
Pres. and Sis. Irion


The Great Tennessee Knoxville Mission has been gearing up to receive a new Mission President.
Elder Pearson is sad to say good bye to Pres. and Sis. Griffen. I asked him a week or so ago what were some things he will remember most about them and what they have taught him.
His reply..."I don't really know if I could put into words what they have done for me and what they have taught me. The word that best drescribes them is "Christ-like". President and Sis. Griffen have shown me an example of Christ-like lives that I want to pattern my life after and what I want my marriage to be like too. They are so humble in doing what the Lords' will is for them. They have consecrated their lives to do those things that please the Father.
They really do become like our parents away from home. They have taught me what it really means to be a disciple of Christ and to be led and guided by Him day be day. I look up to them in so many ways." Saying good bye will be hard.
However, Elder Pearson is looking forward to getting to know and work with the new mission president, Pres. and Sis. Irion.
I actually had the privilege of visiting with them the other night. Around 10:10 pm I recieved a phone call from Pres. and Sis. Irion as they made thier way from Utah to Tennessee. They were just driving through Nashville and the Grand Ole Opry. They were trying to get a hold of as many of their missionaries families as they drove to Knoxville. They wanted to introduce themselves and get to know the missionaries and asked us to tell them a little about Elder Pearson. (I found it a little challenging because I haven't really known "Elder Pearson", I'm more familiar with the 19 year old we dropped off at the curb 15 months ago.) I told them he is our "eternal optimist" and that in all of his letters, he'd never been real discouraged, homesick, or down - he loves his mission and is excited to be out in the mission field serving the great people of Tennessee and the Lord. Pres. Irion handed the phone over to his wife so he wouldn't get them lost, so I was able to visit with both of them. They asked about his siblings. I mentioned he had some great companions and that he had been a wonderful, faithful letter writing. We have appreciated how he has shared his mission with us. We'd been able to make connections with people he has taught and with his companions and their families.
They mentioned they were apprehensive about replacing the Griffens, but I assured them that they will do a wonderful job - they will do their best and the Lord will do the rest.
Pres. Irion asked what I'd like for them to tell Elder Pearson when they saw him the next day - "just that we love him!"
This was so sweet of them to call and I was so reassured that the TKM is in great hands, as are all of the Lord's missionaries! We are grateful to the Griffens and the Irions for their love, service and sacrifices!
love, The Pearson family

When Elder Pearson was emailing on Monday I asked if they were all gathering for one big farewell/homecoming or how saying good bye and welcoming the new president and his wife works. He replied: " I heard a rumor that we all get to go and see them. But I talked with Prez last night for a little bit and it doesn't sound like we will. I think the 1st week that the Irions get here they will just go around to all the areas and have interviews to get to know everyone."

1 comment:

  1. What a neat experience! Thanks for sharing that Jill and Kevin. Ethan also has a new mission president. Alas, we will probably not hear from him and his wife in such a momentous way. They are native Spanish speakers. give my love to all!

    ReplyDelete