Elder Kevin Pearson

Elder Kevin Pearson

Monday, September 12, 2011

OH SNAP.... WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?!

OH SNAP.... WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?!

Monday, September 12, 2011 8:57 AM

Hey family,

how have things been for you this week? We have had an amazing week. All of the members are really excited about things that are going on. To start off the week, Elder P and I decided to do a zone activity, and it turned out to be one of our best ones yet. We played ultimate dodge ball and mission impossible (real intense) Abi would love it.

Some cool news... Elder P and I were at a dinner appointment, and we were trying to get some small talk going with a family. I saw a box behind the couch that looked like it could hold a guitar, and asked "so do any of you play the guitar?" nope, its a banjo. Do you play any instruments? "I love trying to learn different ones." Sounds good, its yours.

So know I'm a true southerner and have my own BANJO haha =D

A couple days later, Elder P and I were out tracting one day and were having a lot of fun and talking to a lot of people. At the very end of the street a guy opened the door and said "HAHA...MORMONS.." He started out by telling us how much he respected us for our dedication, but that it was a shame that we were going to hell and worshiped the devil. For the next half hour he started spitting out all this anti that he got off the Internet. It was all crazy stuff about the temple, Moroni being an angle of light, Galatians 1- preaching another gospel, and a bunch of other crazy stuff. Elder P and I started laughing at one of the things that he said and we replied, "Sir, we've both been to the temple, and your claim is ridiculous". We ending by bearing a pretty bold testimony and that was pretty cool to feel the spirit on that for him.

But some cool news is we were about to have a lot of success in our area. For the last couple of weeks we have been teaching a girl named A. She came to institute with us and also came to the church. She is pretty open and hopefully things keep going well.

We also had a chance to talk with this less active/ part-member family. Ever since Elder P and I got to this area we have tried to visit this family at least once a week. But they would never open the door. The finally let us in and we had a chance to get to know them a little more. We asked the mom how she came in contact with the church? She told us that both of her parents were members and she was very active growing up. But that for the last 10yrs she has been pretty inactive and now her daughter doesn’t really know too much about the church.

We started to ask her what blessings she remembered having, from being raised in the church. She started to explain how much it meant to her, and the blessings that she had growing up. She then looked at her daughter, and paused for a moment. "I want my daughter to have those same blessing I had... And right now she doesn’t have them... We are ready to change that though"... (the spirit is so amazing to see it change someone’s heart!)

We started to share that we wanted to help her daughter prepare for baptism, and asked if that would be something they would want? They agreed with big smile on their face, and now we’re going to be meeting with them next week! =D

This week we also got a little taste of teaching like Elder Davies on his island (He's serving in Taiwan). A couple weeks back elder P and I tracted into a college student that came all the way from china. We left him the dvd "finding faith in Christ" and told him we'd be back. He ended up watching it a bunch of times and told us he was really touched by it and had a whole list of questions.

He asked "So it said that Jesus Christ was the son of God?..Who's God? Does he have a body? where does he live? It was a really fun lesson and we even taught him how to pray. He wants us to come back and teach him even more so thats good.

On Saturday during personal study I got a call from president Irion

"morning president, how are you doing today?"

Ahh Elder Pearson, just the guy I wanted to talk too.

"oh yeah? what can I help you with?"

Well I got some good news and some bad news and some more good news. Which order would you like them in?

"lets do that one, good, bad, good"

Well good news is that I want to have you and your companion over for dinner tomorrow.

(just then I knew what he was calling for. my heart started to pound, and my palms got all sweaty)

The bad news is that Elder P will no longer be your companion.

(on no, i really know whats going to happen)

The other good news is that the Lord and I are calling you to be assistant to the president.

He started to talk for about 5 more min but my mind was gone and didn't catch any of it! and Then he said "wait, I don’t know if you said you will do it?.. will you? haha

I nervously said yes, and then he continued to tell me that he was going to try something new and that I was going to be assistant with my son elder H and that he was going to call and tell him the news too. So now Elder H and I are getting trained for the next week to white wash the AP's area! I feel very under qualified. But I’m very excited for the chance to grow. =D

Sunday night we met up with President and had dinner at the mission home and then the assistance took us to the mission office to teach us some of the reports stuff.. I felt like I was in the first part of the MTC again, to where I was just being loaded with information and retaining none of it haha. Just like trying to take a drink out of a fire hose. We were doing numbers till about 1 or two in the morning and it was a crazy night. I don’t think that it’s really kicked in yet but haha maybe thats good.

I know that Heavenly Father knows best though and that this will help me grow. I’m excited to love the missionaries even more and to see what lies ahead. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Love , Elder Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment